Closing Date: 11 March 2022
MENTARI (Menuju Transisi Energi Rendah Karbon) is an ambitious four-year programme that formally started on 6th January 2020. The programme aims to deliver inclusive economic growth and poverty reduction in Indonesia, by supporting the uptake of low carbon energy. Led by the British Embassy Jakarta, MENTARI is implemented by Palladium International Indonesia in consortium with Castlerock Consulting and Hivos. The programme has a specific focus on developing the low carbon energy sector to best support the disadvantaged communities, and specifically those in eastern Indonesia. By working closely with the Government of Indonesia and other stakeholders to improve the enabling environment and drive investment, MENTARI will demonstrate the possibilities of low carbon energy for Indonesia’s economic development, job creation and social inclusion, while helping to mitigate climate and environmental impacts.
MENTARI is seeking to engage an individual in the role of Communications Manager who will provide strategic planning and execution on external and internal communications engagement related to MENTARI program activities.
Duties: Under the direction of the Team Leader, the Communications Manager will:
- Design and formulate the communications, outreach and promotion strategy of MENTARI, including but not limited to press release development, media interview briefing, media engagement and monitoring, media analysis in relation to MENTARI’s activities and a wide range of energy sector trends;
- Oversee the implementation of the communications strategy and whether the strategy is effectively communicating the findings of MENTARI;
- Provide strategic communications guidance as needed to internal MENTARI teams (including Jakarta and Sumba teams) around key program activities (including demonstration projects, reports, technical assistance, stakeholder engagement, etc.);
- Lead the content development and dissemination strategy to relevant stakeholders;
- Supervise and quality assurance of the production of programme’s communication materials/visibilities and knowledge management products, to ensure a timely and high-quality production as well as compliance with FCDO standards and/or requirements;
- Responsible for the quality development and maintenance of the content for the possibility of MENTARI’s website and social media platform;
- Lead the implementation of MENTARI’s branding guidelines in MENTARI activities and collaterals, with oversight from the Collaboration & Networking Lead;
- Lead and support the development of communications tools and materials as per strategic audience planning. This may include reports, policy briefs, infographics, press releases, and social media copy; and
- Work with MENTARI’s pool of external communications resources, including short-term communications consultants, webmaster, graphic designers, translators and editors.
B. Knowledge Management
Together with the MREL Manager, the Communications Manager will:
- Establish and design the programme’s learning process and knowledge management system to ensure its current relevance to the programme implementation;
- Maintain the programme’s knowledge management systems for the purpose of linking, learning, information sharing and knowledge exchange of best practices in regard to renewable energy sector development in Indonesia.
- Formulate the content of the production of programme’s communication materials/visibilities and knowledge management products in creative ways to disseminate programme’s output, outcome, and lessons- learned, including but not limited to newsletter, two-pagers, fact sheet, case studies, policy brief, human-interest stories, blogs, infographics, video-graphics, etc;
- Provide guidance and supervise the development and regular maintenance of MENTARI website, including updating the website content, e.g. section pages, article, news, media galleries, key highlights, figures, etc. in coordination with Strand Leads and G&I Manager; and
- Proactively identify content opportunities across the MENTARI Programme.
Qualifications and Experience
The Communications Manager is required to possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A Master’s Degree in the fields of Social Science, Development Studies, Communication and Media, Public Relations or related subjects;
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience in the communications and media and/or energy advocacy and promotions;
- Demonstrated experience in leading communications initiatives from conceptualisation to implementation. This includes communications plans, campaigns and creative products;
- Established contacts and networks within local, national media outlets is highly desirable;
- Demonstrated experience coordinating and working with graphic designers, translators, copy editors;
- Experienced in working within donor-funded initiatives, which involve various state agencies and local governments.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to work in sensitive situations;
- Excellent presentational and writing skills including use of digital technologies, including social media platforms;
- Familiarity with information technology and cutting-edge tools used to communicate key messages, results and feedback about programme successes and lesson learned;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, liaison and interpersonal skills.
- High-level skills in written and spoken English and Bahasa Indonesia are required.
- Experience working with the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) (formerly FCO/DFID) funded projects or the British Embassy Jakarta;
- Knowledge of the Indonesian energy system and renewable energy/decarbonisation policy.
This position is open to only Indonesian citizens. Women are encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to submit a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than 11 March 2022. This vacancy is also open for internal Palladium candidates. We reserve the right to close this recruitment process before the confirmed closing date if an internal candidate was successful.
Interviews with shortlisted candidates are scheduled to take place in the week commencing 14 March 2022. An assessment may be part of the application process. Employment will be for a period of one year, with the possibility to extend. Remuneration will be based on background and experience.
All staff are required to adhere to the Palladium Code of Conduct. Recruitment is subject to the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including references and criminal records checks.
Please apply through the link below.